iPhone – Only one APN configuration can be installed
September 25, 2010 3 Comments
Recently a colleague of mine came to me with a problem saying that his iphone is not connecting to 3G services, earlier 2 months ago he actually wanted stop the data service because it was costing him a lot. So I installed him a popular iphone-no-data-profile. To resolve this problem I made a new profile with corrected 3G APN settings based UAE Etisalat but no success it gave a message “Profile Failed to Install – Only one APN configuration can be installed at a time”.
So after searching on internet I found there seems to be a bug that is affecting people who have installed an APN Profile in Pre iOS4 and installed iOS4 afterwards, the old profile may not be accepted by iOS4 and hide it away and when you try and install a new profile it will say you can only install one profile (but you cannot remove the old one after installing iOS4).
Now here is the suggested solution to deal with this problem:
- First you must backup your iphone using iTunes.
- Second, locate your iPhone backup (C:\Users\(CURRENT USER)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ in Windows 7).
- Next, find the subdirectory that corresponds to your latest backup.
- Inside that directory, delete a file starting with 48xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(one more way to identify this file is to open it in notepad, along with all the gibberish stuff u’ll find some clues of words like “profile”).
- On your iPhone, go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Erase All Content and Settings.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer and let iTunes restore the backup that you modified.(It’ll say some files are missing because u have deleted a file earlier, ignore that and no worries).
- Connect to the web via wifi access your email with APN file file attachment and download and install the APN.
** If all went well, your internet should be working fine now with 3G. **